Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Saturday, April 29, 2017

The contents of the time capsule were on display at the Legislative Building in 2012 and included:

  • The program from the ceremony
  • The two-page invocation that was read
  • A written list of contents
  • Saskatchewan Telephone Directory - July, 1909
  • A photograph of the inscribed trowel used by Governor-General Earl Grey
  • A list of the names of the principal officials involved in the erection of the Saskatchewan Legislative building
  • A document listing major events in the North-West
  • A number of artifacts pertaining to the construction of the building including:
    • the terms of the architectural competition for the "Proposed Legislative and Executive Building at Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada" issued by the provincial Department of Public Works, September 3, 1907
    • detailed specifications from the winning firm, Edward and W.S. Maxwell from Montreal, of the Legislative Building and Power House dated May 1, 1908
    • a design sketch of what the building would like when completed
    • blueprints and a photo of the state of construction of the Legislative Building on September 22, 1909
  • A photo of an unidentified individual which was not included in the official listed contents
  • A nufmber of recent editions of 1909 newspapers including:
    • October 1st, Saskatoon Phoenix
    • October 2nd and 4th, Regina Morning Leader
    • October 2nd, Regina Daily Standard
    • Saskatchewan Courier
  • A number of books and journals including:
    • a small Holy Bible printed by the Oxford University Press, London, England
    • 1909 Canadian Almanac
    • 1909 Henderson's Regina City Directory
    • Waghorn's Guide (a popular period document containing railway schedules, maps and other information for travelers)
    • 1909 City of Regina Municipal Manual (with a variety of information relating to the growth and development of the provincial capital)
  • Several forms of currency used at the time:
    • A case containing 1909 Canadian coins bearing the portrait of King Edward VII. The set includes a large copper penny which was in use in Canada from 1867 to 1920
    • Canadian $1.00 and $2.00 bills
    • Bank of Montreal, $5.00, $10.00 and $20.00 bills and Bank of Commerce notes*
    • Northern Crown Bank, $5.00, $10.00, $20.00 and $50.00 bills*
    • * Private Banks in Canada were permitted to issue currency until the 1940s. Various Saskatchewan banks were asked to submit samples of their currency by Deputy Commissioner of Public Works J.F. Robinson. Each of the banks defaced their contributions so that they could not be circulated.
  • An undated large-scale map of Southern Saskatchewan (10 miles to the inch) prepared by the Department of Public works under the supervision of Geographer M.W. Sharon which illustrated existing and projected provincial railroads while outlining the electoral districts in Red.
  • A Union Jack flag (6 ft. X 3 in.)
  • A number of government documents were included:
    • A photo of Saskatchewan's Second Legislative Assembly (elected on August 14, 1908 and served until dissolution on June 15, 1912)
    • Volume IV of the Journals of First Session of the Second Legislative Assembly of the Province of Saskatchewan, Session 1908-1909 (outlined the activities of the Assembly although they did not contain a transcript of debates in the tradition of the modern Hansard which only commenced in Saskatchewan in the late 1940s)
    • Department of Public works annual Report, 1908-1909, February 29, 1908
    • Saskatchewan Gazette & Supplement September 30, 1909 (regularly published Government Appointments and other official and business information)
    • Saskatchewan Public Accounts for the Financial Year ended February 29, 1908

 1909 Saskatchewan Telephone Directory 

1909 Saskatchewan Telephone DirectoryWalter Scott's Government created a Department of Telephones in 1908 to oversee the development of a provincial telecommunications system which included provincially-owned trunk lines, municipal exchanges and farmer-owned and operated cooperative rural telephone systems. This 62-page book indicates the early development of telephone service in Saskatchewan and the commencement of long distance service as far east as Portage La Prairie and Winnipeg as that first out-of-province line had been completed in 1908.



Home/About/Time Capsules/1909 Time Capsule
© 2017 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.